Our oldest child loves no-bake cookies, and I love that they are easy to make and delicious. For his 12th birthday last year, he didn’t want a cake. He wanted me to make him a chocolate no-bake cookie recipe, shape it into the number 12 and stick a candle in it. He said it was his favorite birthday “cake” ever.
I tried not to get upset thinking of the amazing, time-consuming Lego cake I made, nor the dinosaur shaped cakes (yes, cakes, he was into dinosaurs for a LONG time). Oh, let’s not forget the cowboys and Indians cake or the shark cake. There was a lot of intricate cake happenings around his birthday at our house in those early years. I’m so off the hook now. Hallelujah!
Now, for all holidays, we try different ways to make no-bake cookies. For Easter, we combined coconut with the chocolate adding that extra special zing for an extra special holiday.
Grab your camera because Easter is the perfect time to make No-Bake Chocolate Easter Egg Cookies and wonderful memories with your kids in the kitchen.
NO-BAKE CHOCOLATE EASTER EGG COOKIES
• 2 cups old fashioned oats
• 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
• 1 stick butter, salted
• 2 cups granulated sugar
• ½ cup cocoa powder
• ½ cup milk
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
1. In a large bowl combine oats and coconut. Set aside.
2. Bring the milk, butter, sugar,salt and cocoa powder to boil for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and add the vanilla.
3. Pour over oats and coconut; mix thoroughly.
4. Shape into eggs and put in a deviled egg pan or on wax paper.
5. Cool and enjoy!